NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Feb. 10, 2014
CJHL rankings still see Thunderbirds No. 1 while Gold Miners move to 13th
SUDBURY – Winners of 24 consecutive games the Soo Thunderbirds remain the envy of the Canadian Junior Hockey League and are the No. 1 ranked club in the country for a second straight week.
The Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League front-running Thunderbirds were once again slotted at the top of the CJHL’s weekly top 20 rankings announced Monday.
Meanwhile the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners also continue to impress as they were tabbed 13th nationally in the listing, which are compiled in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Sault Ste. Marie remains atop the NOJHL standings with 86 points in 46 games and a 42-4-0-2 overall record.
As for the Gold Miners they sit in second spot in the NOJHL with 76 points in 44 outings and a 36-6-0-4 mark.
The Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) were once again named the No. 2 squad in the CJHL followed by the Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) at No. 3
The following are this week’s CJHL top 20 rankings along with the five honourable mention squads:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (1)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (2)
3. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (4)
4. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (3)
5. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (5)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (6)
7. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (7)
8. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (11)
9. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (13)
10. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (9)
11. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (10)
12. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (NR)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (15)
14. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (16)
15. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (14)
16. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (NR)
17. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (17)
18. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (18)
19. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (HM)
20. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL), Okotoks Oilers (AJHL), Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL), Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL), Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Jr. A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For the latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com as well as follow them on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.