NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Nov. 18, 2013
Thunderbirds and Gold Miners firmly entrenched in CJHL top 20
SUDBURY – The top two clubs in the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League continue to earn recognition in the Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings.
Both the Soo Thunderbirds and Kirkland Lake Gold Miners cracked the listings once again this week with the Sault Ste. Marie being slotted fifth overall and Kirkland Lake 14th in the 128-team CJHL.
The T-Birds currently hold down top spot in the NOJHL standings with 40 points on a 19-4-0-2 record along with a .800 winning percentage.
As for the 19-2-0-1 Gold Miners, they are currently the hottest team in the league at the moment as they are presently riding a franchise-record eight-game winning streak to move within one point of the Sault in the league table while also holding three contests in hand. Kirkland Lake also sports the best win mark in the NOJHL at .886.
Continuing to top the CJHL rankings are the Fort McMurray Oil Barons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League as they come in at No. 1 once again.
Moving up to No. 2 nationally is the Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) as they are on a CJHL-best 15-game winning streak.
Rounding out the top four are the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) and Powell River Kings (BCHL) in third, fourth respectively.
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (3)
3. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (4)
4. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (5)
5. Soo Thunderbirds (NOHL) (6)
6. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (8)
7. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (7)
8. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (12)
9. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (2)
10. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (9)
11. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (11)
12. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (10)
13. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (16)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (13)
15. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (18)
16. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (15)
17. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (17)
18. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (NR)
19. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (NR)
20. Les Titans de Princeville (LHJAAAQ) (20)
Honourable Mention: Vernon Vipers (BCHL), Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL), Kindersley Klippers (SJHL), St. Michael’s Buzzers (OJHL), Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL).
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.