NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Feb. 23, 2015
Thunderbirds, Gold Miners, Wildcats tabbed in CJHL rankings
SUDBURY – The Canadian Junior Hockey League announced its latest version of the Pointstreak Top 20 rankings Monday and three Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League clubs were recognized once again.
The NOJHL-leading Soo Thunderbirds were tabbed 12th in the 129-team CJHL followed by Kirkland Lake Gold Miners slotted 15th nationally while the first-year Elliot Lake Wildcats garnered honourable mention status for a second straight week in the listings which are comprised in conjunction with International Scouting Services.
Sault Ste. Marie sits in top spot in the overall NOJHL standings with 76 points on a 35-6-1-5 record.
Kirkland Lake is next with 72 points having gone 34-10-2-2 so far this season.
One point behind the Gold Miners is Elliot Lake with the Wildcats having gone an impressive 34-11-2-1 in their inaugural campaign in the NOJHL.
There was no change among the top two teams in the CJHL this week with the 2015 RBC Cup host Portage Terriers (MJHL) holding down the No. 1 ranking once again followed by the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) at No. 2.
Moving up to No. 3 is the Aurora Tigers (OJHL), who capped off their efforts by capturing the Ontario Junior Hockey League regular season crown Saturday.
The following is the Pointstreak CJHL top 20 rankings, along with five honourable mention teams, for the period concluding Feb. 22:
POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (1)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (2)
3. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (5)
4. Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL) (3)
5. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (4)
6. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (6)
7. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (7)
8. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (8)
9. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (9)
10. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (10)
11. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (11)
12. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (12)
13. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (13)
14. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (15)
15. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (14)
16. Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL) (17)
17. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (18)
18. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (16)
19. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (20)
20. Sherbrooke Cougars (QJHL) (19)
Honourable Mention: Elliot Lake Wildcats (NOJHL); Okotoks Oilers (AJHL); Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL); Steinbach Pistons (MJHL); Cobourg Cougars (OJHL)
ABOUT THE POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings, in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS), are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 129 teams and nearly 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.