NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Oct. 27, 2014
Thunderbirds move to 8th, Gold Miners 15th in Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 rankings
SUDBURY – A pair of surging Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League clubs have made a move up in the latest Canadian Junior Hockey League Pointstreak Top 20 rankings, which were announced Monday.
The red-hot Soo Thunderbirds, who are riding the longest current winning streak in the 129-team CJHL at 11 games, jumped six spots to eighth overall in the national listings, which are compiled in conjunction with International Scouting Services.
Meanwhile the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners, winners of six consecutive contests, moved up one slot to 15th in the country.
The two NOJHL sides currently share first place in the overall league standings with 26 points each. The 13-2 Thunderbirds also hold one game in hand on the 13-3 Gold Miners.
Despite dropping their first game of the season last week, the 2015 RBC Cup host Portage Terriers (MJHL) remain the No. 1 team in the CJHL for another week. They have a 16-1 record entering play this week.
Rolling along having won 10 straight, the 13-1 Penticton Vees (BCHL) are now No. 2 in the ratings while the Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) have used a five-game unbeaten run, improving to 20-4, to earn the No. 3 ranking.
The following is the Pointstreak CJHL top 20 rankings along with five honourable mention teams for the period wrapping up Oct. 26:
POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (1)
2. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (3)
3. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (4)
4. Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) (2)
5. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (6)
6. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (7)
7. Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL) (5)
8. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (14)
9. Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJQ) (15)
10. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (12)
11. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (13)
12. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (HM)
13. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (10)
14. Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL) (17)
15. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (16)
16. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (11)
17. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (18)
18. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (HM)
19. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (19)
20. College Francais de Longueuil (QJHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Battlefords North Stars (SJHL), Steinbach Pistons (MJHL), Orangeville Flyers (OJHL), Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL), Dieppe Commandos (MHL)
ABOUT THE POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings, in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS), are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 129 teams and nearly 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.