NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Thunderbirds No. 1, Gold Miners 13th in final CJHL rankings of 2013-14
SUDBURY – The Canadian Junior Hockey League announced its final set of top 20 rankings for the 2013-14 season today with the Soo Thunderbirds wrapping things up as the top ranked team among the 128 clubs that comprise the CJHL.
Joining them from the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League are the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners, who were tabbed 13th overall nationally.
The CJHL rankings each week were based in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Sault Ste. Marie finished up No. 1 in the CJHL and have also secured first place in the overall NOJHL standings.
With two home games left before the playoffs the Thunderbirds boast a NOJHL-best 95 points on a 46-5-1-2 record.
As for Kirkland Lake, they have grabbed the No. 2 seed heading into postseason play having already set franchise records for wins (41) and points (88) with three games remaining.
Rounding out the top five in the final CJHL rankings of 2013-14 are the Selkirk Steelers (MJHL), Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL), Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) and the Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL), who were listed second through fifth respectively.
The following is the final CJHL top 20 rankings for 2013-14, along with five honourable mention squads:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (1)
2. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (3)
3. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (2)
4. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
6. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (6)
7. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (7)
8. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (8)
9. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (9)
10. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (12)
11. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (11)
12. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (14)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (13)
14. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (10)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (15)
16. Dauphin Kings (MJHL) (NR)
17. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (17)
18. Saint-Jerome Panthers (LHJAAAQ) (19)
19. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (20)
20. Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL) (18)
Honourable Mention: Penticton Vees (BCHL), Battlefords North Stars (SJHL), Kindersley Klippers (SJHL), Whitby Fury (OJHL), Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Jr. A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For the latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com as well as follow them on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.