NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Jan. 6, 2014
Thunderbirds remain 4th in CJHL rankings; Gold Miners move to 13th
SUDBURY – The first edition of the Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings of 2014 are out and the two front runners in the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League remain among the nation’s best.
Winners of 15 games in succession, the NOJHL-leading Soo Thunderbirds held firm from their final listing of 2013 by staying fourth overall in the CJHL while the second place Kirkland Lake Gold Miners moved up one notch to 13th nationally in the rankings, which are compiled in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Surging Sault Ste. Marie continues to be one of the hottest teams in the entire 128-team CJHL as their current streak indicates.
The Thunderbirds have amassed 68 points in 39 games with an overall record of 33-4-0-2, including a trio of road triumphs over the weekend, which saw them post victories over second place Kirkland Lake as well as Abitibi and North Bay.
Despite trailing the T-Birds by 12 points in the standings the Gold Miners do hold five games in hand on the league leaders as they enter play this week with a 27-5-0-2 record.
In terms of winning percentage the Soo sits with an impressive .872 mark while Kirkland Lake is at an equally solid .824.
While the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) are still ranked No. 1 in the CJHL there was a flip-flop between second and third with Fort McMurray (AJHL) moving up a slot and Carleton Place (CCHL) sliding down one.
The following are the first CJHL top 20 rankings for 2014 and list of five honourable mention teams:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
2. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (3)
3. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (2)
4. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
6. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (7)
7. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
8. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (19)
9. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (11)
10. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (HM)
11. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (10)
12. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOHL) (14)
14. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (12)
15. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (15)
16. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (HM)
17. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (HM)
18. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (NR)
19. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (17)
20. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (20)
Honourable Mention: Humboldt Broncos (SJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Whitby Fury (OJHL), Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL), Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Jr. A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.