By Matt Stefano
The Soo Thunderbirds have announced on Friday that they have signed 18 year old goaltender Colin Ahern.
Ahern, who stands 6’1 and 165 lbs, spent last season with the St. Mary’s Springs Academy in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, where he had 25 wins, 5 losses, 2 ties, 9 shutouts, a .942 save percentage and a 1.34 goals against average.
For a goalie, Ahern was unanimously voted as captain by his St. Mary’s teammates.
He was also nominated for the Wisconsin Mr. Hockey Award as the WCHA’s Player of the Year.
In the classroom, Ahern has earned a 3.77 cumulative grade point average and had a 4.0 in his senior year while taking college level classes, including Statistics, English, Physics and Calculus.
The Fond du Lac, Wisconsin native also served as the school’s Student Council Vice President, was a member of the National Honor Society, High Honour Roll Key Club, and was on the school’s Math Team.
List of his other accomplishments in 2017-2018 include:
– U18 WEHL All-League Team
– Badgerland Conference All-Academic Team
– Badgerland Conference 1st Team Goalie
– Badgerland Conference Player of the Year
– Finalist (1 of 8 players) for WCHA Player of the Year Award
– Wisconsin Prep Hockey Kirk Daubenspeck State Goalie of the Year
– WCHA All State 1st Team
– USA Today Wisconsin High School Sports Awards Player of the Year in Boys Hockey