NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
Release Date: Monday, Nov. 4, 2013
Thunderbirds move to 3rd in CJHL rankings while Gold Miners jump to 14th
SUDBURY – The Canadian Junior Hockey League has announced it weekly top 20 rankings and the two frontrunners in the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League continue to garner national attention.
The surging Soo Thunderbirds are still soaring as they moved up another notch in the weekly tabulations as they now sit third overall nationally in the rankings, which are compiled in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Sault Ste. Marie presently owns the best record in the NOJHL with an impressive 18-2-0-1 overall record along with a .891 winning percentage. Much of that is due to an incredible run where they have amassed 27 out of a possible 28 points in their past 14 games.
Meanwhile the second place Kirkland Lake Gold Miners were tabbed with the No. 14 rating in the CJHL.
Kirkland Lake is 14-2-0-1 on the season to date, which gives them a win mark of .853.
Holding down the No. 1 ranking yet again in the 128-team CJHL are the Alberta Junior Hockey League’s Fort McMurray Oil Barons while the Steinbach Pistons of the MJHL moved to No. 2.
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (3)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (4)
4. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
5. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (2)
6. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (7)
7. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (8)
8. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (6)
9. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (15)
10. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (12)
11. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (9)
12. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (11)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (HM)
15. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (HM)
16. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (NR)
17. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (18)
18. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (14)
19. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (NR)
20. Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Langley Rivermen (BCHL), Yorkton Terriers (SJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL), Les Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (LHJAAAQ).
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.