NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Dec. 23, 2013
Sault Ste. Marie; Kirkland Lake in final CJHL rankings of 2013
SUDBURY – The final installment of the Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings for 2013 were announced Monday with a pair of Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League clubs maintaining their place among the national elite.
Both the NOJHL-leading Soo Thunderbirds and second seeded Kirkland Lake Gold Miners preserved the same CJHL listing they held a week ago, with Sault Ste. Marie staying fourth overall while Kirkland Lake was once again 14th in the rankings, which are compiled in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
The red-hot Thunderbirds enter the holiday break riding a 12-game winning streak having not lost since Nov. 10, which was a 3-2 setback at the hands of the North Bay Trappers.
The T-Birds have 62 points in 36 outings on an overall record of 30-4-0-2.
That leaves them eight points clear of the Gold Miners as they are at 54 points on a 26-4-0-2 mark. Kirkland Lake does however hold four games in hand on their NOJHL rivals.
In terms of winning percentage the Sault sits at .861 compared to Kirkland Lake at .844.
There was also no movement this week among the top trio of teams in the CJHL rankings with Spruce Grove, (AJHL) Carleton Place, (CCHL) and Fort McMurray, (AJHL) still holding down those spots respectively.
The following are the final CJHL top 20 rankings for 2013. The listings will return in 2014 starting on Jan. 6.
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) LAST WEEK)
1. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
2. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (2)
3. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (3)
4. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIHL) (5)
6. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
7. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (11)
8. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (9)
9. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (8)
10. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (7)
11. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (12)
12. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (10)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOHL) (14)
15. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (16)
16. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (15)
17. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (17)
18. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (18)
19. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (HM)
20. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (20)
Honourable Mention: West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL), Drumheller Dragons (AJHL), Kindersley Klippers (SJHL), Melville Millionaires (SJHL), Kingston Voyageurs. (OJHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.